SERVER Race reset restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
The /reset command for races has worked in different ways at different times. As things are now, /reset can only be used 5 seconds after reaching a checkpoint. In addition, there's a limit of 1 reset per race. The previous system had the 5 second delay, but not the 1 reset per race limit. I suggest restoring the previous system.
The limit of 1 /reset per race makes the command nearly useless. If there's a certain part of a race that a player can't get past, they'll need more than 2 chances. Consider races like Paradisio or Trackmania (including sequels). These are very difficult for new players. With the limit, it's unlikely they'll complete the race at all. New races, such as Trackmania 4 and Neverland are challenging even for experienced racers. Letting players reset to a checkpoint several times shouldn't cause any problems. It might be less realistic, but makes racing more fun for players that aren't perfect racers. I'd be interested to read why the limit was added in the first place.
Long story short, I believe it's worth removing the limit of 1 /reset per race. Or at least the number of resets per race should be raised to a more reasonable level.

Kostas

Konstantinos
Developer
Server Owner
It changed because it was abused.

For MTA-DM maps, challenges exist for this exact reason. You can practice them as much as you want and you are able to see your time too. When you are confident enough you can complete the map, you move to the race part.

Shaan

Member of the Year | 2020
Server Staff
Challenge maps like Trackmania and Infernus Skills mainly require /reset. But it will not work properly in most of the times. You will spawn inside the object and get stuck. This makes the command totally useless. Moreover, it will lengthen the race duration if a player continuously uses the command to finish a certain part but actually fails every time. This will cause discontentment among the other players who will be waiting for the next race. So, I will suggest to add a certain number of chances for using /reset, say 5. By this, VIPs can be made to have more chances for using /reset.

For normal races, /reset is used mainly when someone falls in water. In this case, the player doesn't require more than one reset, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sulps

VIP
It changed because it was abused.
I honestly can't imagine how someone could abuse /reset. Before the 5 s delay was added, sure (I did that too tbh). But with the delay, what harm could players possibly cause with /reset? And how does limiting /reset to one try instead of several or infinite tries remove the possibility of abuse?

Kostas

Konstantinos
Developer
Server Owner
They were using /reset constantly until the time was over on purpose. But I like the suggestion of @Shaan

Sulps

VIP
Quote from the last update notes:
adlude: 15 January 2022
* Players can now use /reset in races more than once. The 5 second delay after use does remain.

Before reading the update notes, I always assumed my suggestion had been denied. But with the last update, it was accepted. Can someone move this thread to the appropriate section?

Status
Not open for further replies.