Derby issues

Akira

Server Staff
Been a while since I started binge-playing /derby and kept meeting a couple of issues very frequently, although they can be easily fixed to improve the gameplay and amuse all players:

1. there's a good bunch of players who just tend to be stationary for more than 30 seconds, which means they're camping and killing the fun off. Here I'd suggest to auto-eliminate whoever has their vehicle km/h going lower than what it should be when moving around. Maybe a message in the middle of the screen giving the reason why were they eliminated would help, as well;

2. there are then also a few players whose ping goes above 400. Here the situation is even more critic since it is really common of them to getting desynced from the whole server. In this case I may suggest to auto-eliminate or directly timeout whoever faces the issue of not sitting in the vehicle but still counting for the win, which is quite common when a new round starts. This should be considered for /fallout, too.

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year
1. There's already a discussion about that in this topic.

2. Players that constantly have a ping above 300 and are desynced are very annoying for all other players. It's mostly an issue in particular minigames, namely derby, fallout and shooter/CTF. So I agree, there should be some kind of automatic filter that doesn't require staff intervention. The question is how exactly would it work? If kicking the player is too harsh, the server should at the very least tell the player to relog and tell the staff that there's a potentially desynced player.

Ern

2. Players that constantly have a ping above 300 and are desynced are very annoying for all other players. It's mostly an issue in particular minigames, namely derby, fallout and shooter/CTF. So I agree, there should be some kind of automatic filter that doesn't require staff intervention. The question is how exactly would it work? If kicking the player is too harsh, the server should at the very least tell the player to relog and tell the staff that there's a potentially desynced player.
Indeed, this is definitely a major problem that requires attention. Kicking the player is definitely too harsh especially when considering it's not necessarily their fault. Some people just have a generally poor and slow internet connection and/or living very far from the server host, that results in low online performance and high ping. I'd rather suggest something like:
  • Creating a small script that creates an announcement personally on their screen saying 'PING OVER 300, PLEASE FIX BEFORE PLAYING'..
  • In case a minute or two has passed and nothing has been done about it (since it can be a temporary issue) then the server can disqualify and disable them from joining derbies, deathmatches, CTF and other minigames where this can be a problem as well as forcing them to read /lag.