Gang of the month! (feedback)

bear

Server Owner
Hi all,

We are considering building a Gang of the month system. The aim of this is to give Gangs more to work towards and create more competition and a sense of achievement at the end of each calendar month. We believe that simply a "claim to fame" title isn't good enough, and that we can take the idea so much further that that. It goes without saying that such an idea would need planning, rules and requirements, and feedback from the community.

Some random thoughts to put down on paper:
  • One of the prizes could include a custom-mapped gang base, with unique features such as the ability for only gang members to enter and exit, health pickups, the ability to set it as a spawn location, etc.
  • Should this be reserved for one single gang of the month, or perhaps the top 3?
  • What should constitute score to be judged as the winner(s)? For example, we could sort by a range of different single or combined factors like gang with the most combined kills, the most combined turf captures, the most combined score, the most combined vault money, etc. Or should we do something totally different like voting from the community?
  • Above all else, does this sound interesting? Would you personally find it to be something fun and enjoyable?
Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

Chaos

Former Staff
Hi all,

We are considering building a Gang of the month system. The aim of this is to give Gangs more to work towards and create more competition and a sense of achievement at the end of each calendar month. We believe that simply a "claim to fame" title isn't good enough, and that we can take the idea so much further that that. It goes without saying that such an idea would need planning, rules and requirements, and feedback from the community.

• One of the prizes could include a custom-mapped gang base, with unique features such as the ability for only gang members to enter and exit, health pickups, the ability to set it as a spawn location, etc.
  • Should this be reserved for one single gang of the month, or perhaps the top 3?
  • What should constitute score to be judged as the winner(s)? For example, we could sort by a range of different single or combined factors like gang with the most combined kills, the most combined turf captures, the most combined score, the most combined vault money, etc. Or should we do something totally different like voting from the community?
  • Above all else, does this sound interesting? Would you personally find it to be something fun and enjoyable?
Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

First thought is amazing!
I guess if it is only for one single gang then gangs will have to work harder and with enthusiasm to get it :)
Community voting might not be a good option as i will only consider voting for my gang and so will everyone else! I guess 4-5 admins or maybe all of 'em should be selected for voting for the top gang!
Yup it sounds really interesting and it got my attention pretty soon & hope fully will capture others attention pretty soon as well!
Also i guess Giving the top gang a badge for a month in the gang leader board Like <gangname> - Gang of the Month would be inspiring.
I will drop ideas as soon as i get 'em.

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
This would be a good way to revive the gang system. I wrote "revive" because the top 3 gangs from a few weeks to 3 months ago have been disbanded: DeathRow (later revived), Lyskurver and rAcingCards.
I strongly support the idea of objectively measuring a gang's performance, rather than community voting. Voting would make things seem political (for the lack of a better word), with most players voting for their own gang and the few regular gang-less players picking which gang they like the most. The easy way out is to count the goldstars earned by each gang each month.
As for rewards, gang bases have already been asked for by a lot of players, so we can hit two birds with one stone.
At first, I think we should keep it at just one gang. If the idea becomes more popular and more successful gangs are formed, the list can be expanded to 3.

Bandit

lda #$7f | sta $dc0d
Well I am in favour of anything that increases the playability of the server for our players and this is a great example of just that. It may even have a knock on effect of gang member turnover or even new gang creation.

Don't forget to include a 'Still just about hangin' in there' section or ReTaRdEd will never get a mention :p

nekko

Former Staff
Hi all,

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks

I will give you my opinion:

This IS a good idea, dont get me wrong, but really unnecessary for this server, and here are some reasons why:
1st: This is already covering lots of servers, which means it's not SFSE originial.
2nd: Gangs are not active and competitive enough. Literally, whenever I join the server, the only active gang I see is GB. It's a Serbian gang and has most of active players in it. Simply, they don't really care about gang system that much. While I was admin, I tried my best to make gangs competitive by showing the... so called "rivalty" between Lyskurver and DR. Right now, I dont really see active gangs as in gang wars and such. Meanwhile, on other freeroam servers, gangs are literally fighting and gwaring every single day. If you add this, they will... probably only work for couple of days as a gang and then even stop playing, because competition is not present and they can pickup the rewards just for working 2-3 days to gather gpoints.
Let's check MOB. They could possibly have 10 members, or they could have only 2 members. Let's say they earn gang of the month. They will get a base, custom mapped one, for 2 members gang that CAN BE DELETED ANYTIME. It's just more work.
Let's say MOB wins 1 month. They already have a custom mapped base, so they wont work for next gang of the month?

Im not really against this, but it's not needed here. It's a fact, since the gangs are broken and inactive. What I would add is gang label, people can see which gang u are in by looking at the label above ur head. This label should be above /label.

PS : If you actually add Gang of the month, the better suited price is vip membership limited to 1 month for 2 gang members chosen by leader (Leader cannot pick himself as a member which will get the vip)

nekko

Former Staff
Won't to adveriste servers but is this idea from S*F

No.

Gang Labels are literally on every single server, or even more. It's like every server that has a gang system (or 99% of them) do have gang labels above skin's head.
The original idea of Gang of the month is from S*F and you know it, this is why I added "not original SFSE" as a reason.

Feedback

Hi all,

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks
Ty

nekko

Former Staff

I'd make it work this way:

-A won race would be 5 points
-A kill would be 1 point (Now only if the person is gang member)
-A gang war would be 5 or 10 points (I'd make it 10 to increase gang activity)
Only 1st place would get base reward and such.

Shaan

Member of the Year | 2020
Server Staff
+1
It will be good and the gang score should reset every month so that one gang doesn't remains number #1 for a large amount of time. It will really be interesting to work hard and make your team #1.

Bassam

VIP
Former Staff
+1
It will be good and the gang score should reset every month so that one gang doesn't remains number #1 for a large amount of time. It will really be interesting to work hard and make your team #1.
No, goldstars should not reset as that represents the hardwork the gang has went through. However we could have a topgang list monthly tho, showing goldstars earned that month