Race building requirement (/rb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

Former Staff
Hello everyone,

As some of you know, I've been a Race moderator before and I dealt with a ton of bad submissions back then, from badly placed checkpoints to inappropriately named races(i know it can be changed by staff but that's not the point anyway), so that's why I'm suggesting that there be a kind of requirement to build a race.

But I'm perplexed about the kind of requirement to be honest. At first I thought like a requirement of X amount of Race Wins but then I thought maybe not all players are into racing and more into creating a proper map for others to play. So, to prevent that, I thought a certain amount of online time or/and score may be more helpful than the Race wins.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this as well. The main purpose of this suggestion/requirement is for both the staff to review properly submitted race maps and the players to race better maps in the end.

Amaluna

New Stunter of the Year | 2019
Former Staff
Hello everyone,

As some of you know, I've been a Race moderator before and I dealt with a ton of bad submissions back then, from badly placed checkpoints to inappropriately named races(i know it can be changed by staff but that's not the point anyway), so that's why I'm suggesting that there be a kind of requirement to build a race.

But I'm perplexed about the kind of requirement to be honest. At first I thought like a requirement of X amount of Race Wins but then I thought maybe not all players are into racing and more into creating a proper map for others to play. So, to prevent that, I thought a certain amount of online time or/and score may be more helpful than the Race wins.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this as well. The main purpose of this suggestion/requirement is for both the staff to review properly submitted race maps and the players to race better maps in the end.
We're actually working on "sub-culture" management at the moment. Recently we have gotten Stunt management and Race management is being set up still. They will be in charge of everything race related. Hopefully this soothes your mind.

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
We're actually working on "sub-culture" management at the moment. Recently we have gotten Stunt management and Race management is being set up still. They will be in charge of everything race related. Hopefully this soothes your mind.
So you managed to push through the first suggestion you made here? If so, that should mean staff members don't have to deal with a spam of poorly designed races. In my opinion, that would be even better than Vertex's suggestion.

Vertex

Former Staff
creativity isn't limited to players with high score
Active player or not, 0 score or 10000, a good race is a good race and staff shouldn't lower the chance of having a good submission.
Well I know that but I don't know if you have ever taken a gander at the submissions, putting a requirement of a sort will at the very least help staff find better submissions in my opinion. So think of this like the chance or the probability of a newcomer's creating a proper map is far lower than the chance of an at least somewhat familiar player both to Racing/Mapping or SF-SE in general. It's still a small suggestion though. I think Amaluna's suggestion of ''sub-culture'' would work just fine, too. I didn't see that post until Sulps linked it. Anyways, I would be happy to be a part of that community if it is implemented.

Amaluna

New Stunter of the Year | 2019
Former Staff
So you managed to push through the first suggestion you made here? If so, that should mean staff members don't have to deal with a spam of poorly designed races. In my opinion, that would be even better than Vertex's suggestion.
Yup, that's happening! It's all in development still, so it won't be a streamlined feature immediately. It's also a way to involve the dedicated userbase SFSE has built up over the years. So you guys can also leave your footprint on the servers playability. It's not a staff restricted feature, however in my opinion, and I shared this with cawfee as well, a staff member has to be in the 'lead' of the project at any time to prevent this initiative from running dry.

I am not involved in the Race management at all, so I can not make any promises here. But you may expect a Quality Control team to be setup and control, adjust, remove and add races in the future! Any restrictions, requirements, guidelines etc. will all be up to the Race Management team.

Also restricting /rb doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Maybe set an "online time" limit to it, but shouldn't be too high. It's a very unique feature and SFSE should take credit for that. In fact, I think the only thing wrong with it at the moment is that it's not a very well known feature of the server. We should definitely look into advertising it more than we do now. And if I am not mistaken, also that is being worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.