Server Ping Going Up

vo1cano

From Last night me and my friends are having issue getting 100ping on SFSE only , while other server has 100ping and SFSE is getting more than 200ping and sometime 300. I've checked other servers which are hosted on France/Canada/German and all are good but SFSE have ping problem at the moment, It was fine like yesterday the whole day but at night it went different.

bear

Server Owner
Fluctuation of ping is fairly normal, it can be caused by many things, including, but not limited to:

- Peer congestion (i.e. providers with oversold bandwidth and/or network balancing issues)
- Routing issues (i.e. a connection taking a less than optimal route to the server)

It's usually fairly easy to see exactly where the problem is by performing an MTR (think of a regular ping test or trace route, just more with more information).

I just did a quick MTR from my local connection with ~500 iterations:

As you can see, whilst there was no packet loss throughout the connection, there is jitter. At hop #2 we see the best ping jump from 9ms to 45, with fairly similar results throughout.

For the most part jitter is harmless and doesn't negatively affect anything as most services such as UDP (like SA:MP uses) are fairly resilient and will compensate.

I also tested from around the globe and with the exception of China (who have really crap internet), the connection is pretty stable:

I'd like some more information here.

Could you possibly perform an MTR from your local machine to "sf-se.net" using WinMTR and post a screenshot of the results here? Make sure to let it run for at least 100 iterations/hops.

To provide a good comparison, could you also provide one from another SA:MP server that's okay?

Also, PM me one or more SA:MP server IP addresses that's okay for you.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

bear

Server Owner
The route to/from our server and @vo1cano's connection requires 27 hops with the best response time being 264 ms.

Meanwhile, other hosts that many SA:MP server use (like OVH in France) requires just 13 hops with the best response time being 139 ms.

I'll contact our host to see if they can improve the routing at all, but I'm doubtful they'll be helpful.