Trackmania 4

Ern

Imagine how good of a driver you could be if you had better specs and the smoother gameplay with it. Sick run with sick manoeuvres, you really nailed it!

P.S: Thank you for the map nave! You've done an excellent job and it's giving me these literal Trackmania vibes I'm so used to!

Shaan

Member of the Year | 2020
Server Staff
Thanks, Ern!

To be honest, it wouldn't make much difference if I had better specs. The FPS requirement for these maps is 51 FPS which I can get on my current PC very easily, even while recording with little FPS fluctuation.

Ern

Thanks, Ern!

To be honest, it wouldn't make much difference if I had better specs. The FPS requirement for these maps is 51 FPS which I can get on my current PC very easily, even while recording with little FPS fluctuation.

I get what you mean, but I still think it could be an advantage to you. For example I used to play capped at 90 fps for months or years, only to realize unlocking my fps delivered a positive difference (aside from having it range between 120-310), even though my screen is merely 60 Hz. The gameplay suddenly was buttery smooth, I could feel the enviroment much better than before.

Let me use an analogy to further emphasize what I mean:
Let us see the human body as a machine. It requires fuel which in this case is food. Food can vary greatly in quality, amount and nutrients included.
If you live on the bare minimum (meaning your fps is around the requirement) you could technically function, but you are going to suffer a lot. A weak immune system susceptible to disease and sickness, major nutrient deficiencies etc. In short you are far from living up to your potential. Once you start to have a proper-balanced diet (or you play at 100+ fps all the time) both in nutrients and in calories your life will change to the better. Your immune system will be much stronger, you will be less susceptible to diseases and sickness, your regeneration ability will greatly improve (which is useful in general, and for working out as well), more energy and you just feel much better in general. You will be much closer to live up to your (in this case) physical potential.

Diving into the specific details of why having higher fps is better for gameplay, the main difference is the time you can react to the world changing around you, as well as the reaction of the game to actually detect the input that you pressed the button. With high fps both of those factors are greatly improved. That's with 60Hz screen, imagine 120-240Hz screens.

IroniZ

Head VIP
VIP
Former Staff
I get what you mean, but I still think it could be an advantage to you. For example I used to play capped at 90 fps for months or years, only to realize unlocking my fps delivered a positive difference (aside from having it range between 120-310), even though my screen is merely 60 Hz. The gameplay suddenly was buttery smooth, I could feel the enviroment much better than before.

Let us see the human body as a machine. It requires fuel which in this case is food. Food can vary greatly in quality, amount and nutrients included.
If you live on the bare minimum (meaning your fps is around the requirement) you could technically function, but you are going to suffer a lot. A weak immune system susceptible to disease and sickness, major nutrient deficiencies etc. In short you are far from living up to your potential. Once you start to have a proper-balanced diet (or you play at 100+ fps all the time) both in nutrients and in calories your life will change to the better. Your immune system will be much stronger, you will be less susceptible to diseases and sickness, your regeneration ability will greatly improve (which is useful in general, and for working out as well), more energy and you just feel much better in general. You will be much closer to live up to your (in this case) physical potential.

Diving into the specific details of why having higher fps is better for gameplay, the main difference is the time you can react to the world changing around you, as well as the reaction of the game to actually detect the input that you pressed the button. With high fps both of those factors are greatly improved. That's with 60Hz screen, imagine 120-240Hz screens.
Are you ok?

nessie

VIP

what the hell

Shaan

Member of the Year | 2020
Server Staff

You can find the advantages of using high FPS, advantages of using low FPS and comparison between them below.

High FPS is good for:
Death-matching and using bugs like C-Bug, 2-Shoot, etc.
Reason: Game is smoother.

Completing skydive challenges.
Reason: The forward, backward and sideward thrust increases.

Lesser time in taking-off with helicopters.

NOTE: There may be more advantages which I haven't covered here.

Low FPS is good for:
On-foot races like Parkour 1, Parkour 2, etc. and for completing maze.
Reason: The running speed of the character increases.

Flying races, boat races and drag races.
Reason: The sensitivity of steering, rotating, leaning and speed of car increases. Players prefer 23 FPS for drag races because it provides greater acceleration.

Challenge maps like Infernus Paradise, Trackmania.
Reason: The time taken to steer, rotate and lean your car decreases. A good reaction time is necessary for these maps.

Below is a comparison between high FPS and low FPS in two fields -
Challenge map(TM4) and Swimming.

CHALLENGE MAP(TRACKMANIA 4)

This is a part of Trackmania 4 where you need to wallride.

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

As you may have observed that my car couldn't rotate much in the case of HIGH FPS.
But I did it with ease in the case of LOW FPS.

SWIMMING

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

Swimming speed was really less in the case of HIGH FPS.
But swimming speed was great in the case of LOW FPS.

For example:
There is a doctor(low FPS) and an engineer(high FPS). If you ask them to replace each other i.e. doctor takes the job of engineer and engineer takes the job of doctor, will they be able to work then?
Surely not.
Reason: A doctor is good in the medical field and an engineer is good in the engineering field, they cannot do each others' jobs.

Same is the case with low FPS and high FPS.

High FPS and Low FPS both are good in their respective fields. If you use the wrong FPS in a field which requires another FPS then you won't be able to complete it or complete it with difficulty. Game does feel smooth and buttery with high FPS and I really like it. But to complete some things you need to change some things.

Last edited:

nessie

VIP
You can find the advantages of using high FPS, advantages of using low FPS and comparison between them below.

High FPS is good for:

Low FPS is good for:

Reason: The sensitivity of steering, rotating, leaning and speed of car increases. Players prefer 23 FPS for drag races because it provides greater acceleration.

Reason: The time taken to steer, rotate and lean your car decreases. A good reaction time is necessary for these maps.

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

As you may have observed that my car couldn't rotate much in the case of HIGH FPS.

SWIMMING

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

For example:
There is a doctor(low FPS) and an engineer(high FPS). If you ask them to replace each other i.e. doctor takes the job of engineer and engineer takes the job of doctor, will they be able to work then?
Surely not.
Reason: A doctor is good in the medical field and an engineer is good in the engineering field, they cannot do each others' jobs.

High FPS and Low FPS both are good in their respective fields. If you use the wrong FPS in a field which requires another FPS then you won't be able to complete it or complete it with difficulty. Game does feel smooth and buttery with high FPS and I really like it. But to complete some things you need to change some things.
o_Oo_Oo_O can we move on from this conversation

feesh

Former Staff

High FPS is good for:

Low FPS is good for:

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

SWIMMING

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

For example:
Surely not.

Thank you, I learned a thing today!

Pinch

Staff Member of the Year | 2020
Former Staff

High FPS is good for:

Low FPS is good for:

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

SWIMMING

Using HIGH FPS:

Using LOW FPS:

For example:
Surely not.

Useful information. The example tho.. XD

Ern

Thank you, I learned a thing today!

This is exactly why we need proper discussions and debates nowadays!

@Plutoid God damn! I appreciate the effort you've put into the research and actually recording examples to prove your statement. Thanks to watching these short clips I realized that I was quite unaware about the importance of FPS in SA-MP.
It's fascinating and quite horrifying to see how much FPS could affect certain parts of the game. When it comes to physics R* really didn't think anyone could run the game at 100+ fps at the time. I don't blame them, however if Valve could make the physics of a game independent of the fps with Counter-Strike Source and Half-life 2, why not R*? They were and still are integral parts of the videogame industry to this day. With the resources available R* could pull it off. I honestly have no idea.