Forgot Username Or Password Help ( JUST CONCEPT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegg

We can actually add a System which will help players get their forgotten passwords and Usernames , but this must also have some Rules, i have mentioned everything Below:

So , its not Compulsory to make you account secure, now if you dont want to give your email, then its no problem,
So the thing is that if you may have forget your password or username, instead of Making a post on forums , you can actually get an email of your username or password ,
If a User registers his new account , there will be a pop telling about The email and stuffs like that. and the email should be theirs but not someone else, once they have given email, if they login anytime and if they cant find their username, they can click on forgot username button and they will be popped up to a menu asking the same email they have given during registration Process ( bcz we need security , what if someone else trying to break into the account), and so the user will get an email on which they will able to see Their Username and password

This is just a concept and Imagination, I am Not Scripter and so i dont know if this is even possible, if this is not possible , Please Dont be Angry for My Stupidity

bear

Server Owner
Hi @Kegg,

Thanks for your suggestion! :)

The problem with a password reset system for in-game profiles is that it would mandate that we stored email addresses. This would lengthen the registration process (more fields to fill in) and give us more personally identifiable information to store. Let's say SFSE's game server database was compromised, the attacker(s) would have access to email addresses for all players. We don't want to be responsible for any more information than is absolutely essential for day-to-day running of the community. There's other problems associated with this, too; I'd put money on the fact that a lot of people would give false email addresses when signing up, making their account impossible to recover through such a recovery system.

We store email addresses for forum accounts (with forced email activation), but this is an industry-standard practice designed to help block spam and deter nuisance users (i.e. trolls, ban evaders). By comparison, the numbers are slim - 483 forum accounts versus 50,000 in-game accounts. At least if our forum database was compromised, the damage and gain to the attacker(s) would be much lower.

cawfee and I are just a PM away (or email: info@sf-se.net) for anyone that loses their account and needs help recovering it.

I'm afraid to say that we won't be implementing this suggestion, but your feedback is most definitely appreciated :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.