SERVER Achievement System Overhaul [repost from #suggestions on SFSE discord and some visual examples]

scheel

Former Staff
What?

This is a suggestion that would bring the achievement system we all know out of the water by making them work with /labels (more or less) while also making use of unpopular minigames and somewhat patching up the money crisis we currently have in SFSE.

Why?

To keep players from coming back to use previously unpopular SFSE features with a promise of a reward, while also inspiring them to grind for money and score.

How?

This proposal consists of allowing players to attach achievements they have unlocked like they were custom labels, adding much more achievements we could attain, and introducing "difficulty visualization" to them by applying different colors to the labels.

1594126169282.png
*edited picture of our current achievement system in said colored difficulty scheme

1594127195728.png
*categorized version, along with proposed "secret achievements" and example number of total achievements

1594127657833.png
*A player wearing achievement "Grand Master"

Another inclusion to this suggestion are Secret Achievements. Secret Achievements only appear in the "Secret Achievements" category once you unlock the achievement. The total number of Secret Achievements are also hidden until a player unlocks all of them.

1594128660551.png
*example Secret Achievement "Speed Demon" in its respective category

An alternative approach to this suggestion is to not reveal the requirement for the achievement at all, only displaying the name of the achievement and a "requirement hint" for the sake of even more secrecy. This will allow players to form their own conclusion for its exact requirement, and to somewhat prevent players from sharing a "walkthrough" to them.

1594129242573.png

*Secret Achievement "Speed Demon" with alternative requirement.

Q/A

1. How would this change the outlook of players on our currency system?

Creating achievements for ludicrous amounts of money saved up (ex: an achievement for obtaining $999,999,999) would encourage players to grind for that hard-to-get achievement. Alternatively it can also work for our score system.

2. Don't staff members/VIP members have enough labels on them? Wouldn't it be too cluttered?

I suggest removing the labels on elevated players that inform about their current position (including VIPs) as it's currently useless anyways (due to the existence of command /admins and /stats already giving that information). The only thing that it does is to scare away potential hackers and clutter player names up in my opinion. Also, allow VIPs to have two labels as the pointy brackets present in achievement labels already separates them from the custom ones.

If you have any complaints and further suggestions to improve this idea, please write down below.

Attachments

• 1594127646470.png
    1594127646470.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1594127875913.png
    1594127875913.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

IroniZ

Head VIP
VIP
Former Staff
I like this & also agree about the label clutter, its just too much info in our screens.
Achievement difficulty should be set by counting the percentage of players with over 20 hours gameplay with the achievement.

madvillayo

Server Mapper | Stunter of the Year 2017 - 2020
Head Admin
I do like the idea of achievements above your head, almost like a "title", but I can easily foresee how messy labels on every player will get, especially in crowded events/minigames etc. I don't know, maybe only certain "level" labels should be permitted to display? Just my opinion, I can really see it getting messy all the time (which, yeah, /textlabels exists, but still.. custom VIP labels are cool to read sometimes).

I also do agree that administrative labels aren't necessarily needed, and can prevent potential cheaters presenting themselves.

scheel

Former Staff
I do like the idea of achievements above your head, almost like a "title", but I can easily foresee how messy labels on every player will get, especially in crowded events/minigames etc. I don't know, maybe only certain "level" labels should be permitted to display? Just my opinion, I can really see it getting messy all the time (which, yeah, /textlabels exists, but still.. custom VIP labels are cool to read sometimes).

I also do agree that administrative labels aren't necessarily needed, and can prevent potential cheaters presenting themselves.

Personally I wouldn't mind the mess at all. Looking back on a period of SFSE where everybody had a month's worth of VIP, everybody had labels back then and it wasn't really a problem. In my opinion it wouldn't really take too long until players got used to achievement labels being a thing.

If it's really that much of an annoyance then I propose having a way to only show _______ difficulty achievements and above in /settings for the people who do not want to see too much of them.

I disagree on making x level of achievements not "wearable" into a mandatory feature however. We want players to get interested not only on the harder achievements, but also on the easier ones for the sake of having more choices.

Let's say player A didn't actually want really hard achievements to wear but only the ones he thought "sounded cool". A system that prevents players from doing so because it was an easy achievement wouldn't let this happen.

madvillayo

Server Mapper | Stunter of the Year 2017 - 2020
Head Admin
Right, I only proposed that considering games typically only have titles for "hard" achievements but obviously we don't have thousands of achievements like they do. Cool idea