SERVER Race Moderator Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

[RSK]Cortless

Racer of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
Hello Everyone Hope You All Would Be Fine :)

I've been wondering for a long time why there are only one admin who decide preview races or you can say who decide races to accept or denied, i mean everytime just one person was not the right too choose the best race for sfse and because of one person Races would have be too delay to preview, I Dont think so its good for SFSE Community so why not we make Race moderator team by choosing some pro racers with some racings knowledge which will work to preview Races!!!

Last edited:

blackii

It is a good idea since Alan does not enter the server much, it would be good if there is a group for this, there are poorly done races with bad cps or simply too short, it should be someone who is active and has experience creating careers.

It could be myself and also Cortless, I don't know if there are more people who know about this.

madvillayo

Server Mapper | Stunter of the Year 2017 - 2020
Head Admin
To my understanding, there is an ongoing cleanup of poor-quality races by @AlanNeos; albeit I'm not entirely aware of how the progress is going..

I do tend to agree that race moderation could be expanded; either categorically or in general. For example, I believe Alan isn't too fond of aircraft races, so if he wishes, he could send them off to me for review instead.

We used to have a race moderation team, but I wasn't active to know why it was disbanded. With that said, qualification for race moderation would be quite high; Something along the lines of racers who submit only high-quality races, has an advanced understanding of all of our races (to prevent unoriginal stuff being accepted), and other significant credentials regarding history, trust and skill.

blackii

To my understanding, there is an ongoing cleanup of poor-quality races by @AlanNeos; albeit I'm not entirely aware of how the progress is going..

I do tend to agree that race moderation could be expanded; either categorically or in general. For example, I believe Alan isn't too fond of aircraft races, so if he wishes, he could send them off to me for review instead.

We used to have a race moderation team, but I wasn't active to know why it was disbanded. With that said, qualification for race moderation would be quite high; Something along the lines of racers who submit only high-quality races, has an advanced understanding of all of our races (to prevent unoriginal stuff being accepted), and other significant credentials regarding history, trust and skill.
Hopefully this post is taken into account, I have experience in creating races, I don't know if a user could have commands to be able to delete races.

(Sorry if my English is bad, I'm helping myself with the translator haha I hope it is understood)

Sulps

Goldpot Hunter of the Year | 2019 & 2022
VIP
Some context for this suggestion: There used to be a race moderator team a couple of years ago. It started with applications to join the team, a leader was chosen for it and at first, it seemed to go quite well. But over time, the team kind of stopped working. As far as I know, most or all of the team members became inactive. And so, only a few months in, the team was disbanded. It must be said that I wasn't in the race moderator team, I only saw it from outside.

However, I think setting up a race moderator team is worth trying again. If it consists of players who are experienced in racing and race building and who are consistently active on the server, then it could work out this time.

ellie

Web Developer
Head Admin
VIP
The only problem I have with this is the standard if races that could be accepted.

Kostas

Konstantinos
Developer
Server Owner
Let's not forget though that it is not as simple as it sounds. Being organized and objective is a requirement for me.

For instance, Alan keeps a list of both his accepted and declined race submissions. Race moderators must be objective for any race submission regardless if they were submitted by their best friend or even themselves.

[RSK]Cortless

Racer of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
Let's not forget though that it is not as simple as it sounds. Being organized and objective is a requirement for me.

For instance, Alan keeps a list of both his accepted and declined race submissions. Race moderators must be objective for any race submission regardless if they were submitted by their best friend or even themselves.
Yeah i Agree Race moderators must be same for all players who submitted race even if he was his best friend submission or not, but long time inactiveness will not good for the community and for who submit races they also bored and decrease there interest to creating the race and as i said one person always not a right to choose the best race for sfse sometimes he will be also wrong.. i dont know the previous time of sfse in racings I don't know how Racing's used to get in the old days, There used to be a lot of racers or not but now I think the racers that I see are enough and the competition seems to be increasing So you have to be quick to build races and preview races so i would say ..... There should be a team once again!!!

Last edited:

blackii

I agree, but from what I can see Alan is inexperienced in (good) races with good courses, he accepts races that are too short or just not well done (badly placed Cps), almost every race I have seen in the server are races with jumps, with badly placed or very short cps, and I am not saying that they are all bad, no. There are good races like the Trackmania series, and the Unleashed series (from what I've seen) I am not saying that jumping races are bad, but if they placed the cps correctly it would be even better, and that's why these kinds of things damage the player / racer experience in racing.

AlanNeos

VIP
Former Staff
@blackii

Checkpoits are placed very correctly. If I see a flaw I fix it on the spot before accepting. If I do miss a spot it can always be reported and fixed right away.

The reason I don't often add long races is due to the amount of existing races we have. Making players wait for their queued race for half an hour is what might actually cause them to get bored and lose the interest. Also, long races are rarely added because the majority of players find it boring and prefare something more on the fast-paced side. If I am to add a long race it has to be extremely unique and entertaining rather than aimlessly holding W key and cut some corners. Examples for a good long race we have: Tribute to racers.

Yeah i Agree Race moderators must be same for all players who submitted race even if he was his best friend submission or not, but long time inactiveness will not good for the community and for who submit races they also bored and decrease there interest to creating the race and as i said one person always not a right to choose the best race for sfse sometimes he will be also wrong.. i dont know the previous time of sfse in racings I don't know how Racing's used to get in the old days, There used to be a lot of racers or not but now I think the racers that I see are enough and the competition seems to be increasing So you have to be quick to build racing and preview races so i would say ..... There should be a team once again!!!
I completely agree with you. Reviews should be done by multiple people to reach a middle conclusion to make it most-fair. But, if we were to assemble a race mod team then it'd be best to only include active, long time played SFSE players because they'd have a better understanding for what the SFSE community prefer. (in my opinion)

About activity - Recently I prefered to wait for the submissions list to be filled and review them all at once every week or two. But it appears to me that those who submit prefer to have it reviewed as soon as possible. So yea, a mod should be fully active, I suppose. Something I have a hard time doing. Maybe will improve in the future.

Shaan

Member of the Year | 2020
Server Staff
I agree with the idea that a team of race moderators should be appointed which will be responsible for managing the race submissions.

It will lessen the burden on a single person to review the races. This will also increase the rate of progress in race submissions.

The team should work as a team. They should take a collective decision while previewing races. As Kostas said above, they should be organised and be objective in their decisions as well.

A mix of all type of races should be there in the server. One person may like one race while other may like a different race. It is based on the preference of the player.

It is true that some races in SF-SE have some bad checkpoint placements, so that cutting corners is not possible. But I, and perhaps others, can take part in reforming them to make them better.

Admission into this team should be done by an application submission process or appointed by the race moderator team itself.

Last edited:

Kostas

Konstantinos
Developer
Server Owner
he accepts races that are too short or just not well done (badly placed Cps), almost every race I have seen in the server are races with jumps, with badly placed or very short cps
It doesn't necessarily mean these races were added now so I wouldn't put the blame on one person - many of them were added by old race moderators, old/new head admins etc.

There are currently 449 races in total, but only 304 of them are in rotation. Our plan was to cleanup unused/unpopular and bad-placed-checkpoints races, there has been some degree of progress over the last months but we all agree that a team can speed up the procedure.

AlanNeos

VIP
Former Staff
I wanna add - Fixing bad checkpoints takes no less than 2 minutes and can be applied without wiping any existing records.

blackii

Checkpoits are placed very correctly. If I see a flaw I fix it on the spot before accepting. If I do miss a spot it can always be reported and fixed right away.

The reason I don't often add long races is due to the amount of existing races we have. Making players wait for their queued race for half an hour is what might actually cause them to get bored and lose the interest. Also, long races are rarely added because the majority of players find it boring and prefare something more on the fast-paced side. If I am to add a long race it has to be extremely unique and entertaining rather than aimlessly holding W key and cut some corners. Examples for a good long race we have: Tribute to racers.

@AlanNeos lol I understand your point, but it is a waste to run such short races with the amazing race creation system the server has , and I am not saying that short or jump races are forbidden, obviously they can still be on the server (the ones with sense and with well-placed cps), but also that races of 2:50 3:00 min are accepted, perhaps for you they are boring but for those who are dedicated to racing they are not.

(The 3:00 min races are not long lol)

blackii

It will lessen the burden on a single person to review the races. This will also increase the rate of progress in race submissions.

Exactly, I can understand that doing that kind of thing for one person can get boring.

A mix of all type of races should be there in the server. One person may like one race while other may like a different race. It is based on the preference of the player.

I agree.

It is true that some races in SF-SE have some bad checkpoint placements, so that cutting corners is not possible. But I, and perhaps others, can take part in reforming them to make them better.

A better option would be a race purge, it would be very boring to fix them race by race, cp by cp.
(as there are many races with bad cps)

[RSK]Cortless

Racer of the Year | 2020
Former Staff
LOL i dont think so An experienced racer who have knowledge and sense of tracks/racings will make such W holding races, if he made so it means he dont know about "Racings" anyway the point is that to making a moderator team would be increase the rate of progress in submission and increase the interest to others racers which is actually good for SFSE, i agree with Shaan and blackii too... there is a many races which have bad Checkpoints replacement but still accepted. and creating a moderator team would be lessen the burden on a single person to review the races. as Shaan Said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.